Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, April 09, 2018

Best Free Bible Software for Computer


It has been reported recently in Christianity today that Chinese are finding more difficult to get a print Bible. Bible is not welcome by many people and organizations, not just in China, but even in some part of India too. Years ago, one young boy from our fellowship narrated me how his parent thrashed him for possessing a Bible. Why are some people so hostile and antagonistic to the Bible? We know it is because they misunderstood the Faith of Christianity and the Nature of Bible.
Many hate Christian activities because they thought we are trying to convert them as if we can convert anyone anytime. On the contrary, we, Christian know that we cannot convert anyone, nor do we try. Conversion is a gracious act of God. Yes, we long for everybody’s conversion, not because we want to be the majority in world religions, but because we want them to be Saved from the coming judgment of God. What we do and all that we can do is to present the gospel to them, and give answers to their doubts. The gospel we have received, and believed, and that we present to others does not come from any culture or philosophy. Neither an invention nor development of anyone. The Gospel that saves, comes from God and is revealed perfectly in the Bible. That’s the reason why we value Bible so much.
However, Bible is not just about the Gospel that saves. It is the daily bread and living water for Christian. To be a Christian and not read the Bible is an oxymoron. Psalmist says in Psalm 119:105 “Your word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path.” We need Bible all the times at all places. It is imperative that we (who are in the free country) possess a print Bible, but it looks difficult for our brothers and sister in hostile places. So, in the providence of God, technology can come to our aid through the internet, computer, and phone. According to InternetWorld Stats, China and India are the top internet user countries, higher than even USA. Cheer up! Brothers and Sisters!
Thanks be to God! Bible is available online. It is available even offline through Bible Software for Computer and Bible App for Smartphone. Anybody with a computer or phone can access Bible easily now. We no longer have any excuses for not reading the bible. In fact, there are lots that one wonders what will benefit us more. Today I would like to recommend Bible Software for Computer. (Next time BibleApp for Smartphone.)

For Computer:
I have 4 Bible Softwares on my laptop: Logos 7 (Bronze), BibleWorks 7, theWord 5, and e-sword. The first two are expensive and the latter two are free of cost. Many Bible students and teachers usually recommend expensive Bible Softwares.
However, I am glad to recommend free software theWord to all. I am not an expert in any of these Bible Softwares I have been using. So, my recommendation is purely based on my experience.
Top 4 Reasons why I recommend theWord Bible Software.
1.     It is a free Bible Software (Logos and BibleWorks are expensive). Also, you may want to click here
2.   One can install other modules freely (also modules from the third party), which in other Softwares programs could cost thousands of dollar (eg. ICCNT). For all the available modules Click here
3.   It has a wonderful yet easy layout. (I know this is an issue of preference, but I challenge you to explore the layout).
4.   It has clipboard-monitoring feature. This feature allows you to read any files (word, pdf, etc.) that have scriptural reference without going back to software. You just have to run the software in the background, and copy the scripture reference whenever you encounter it.
In fact, I always open theWord Bible Softwares mainly because of the 4th Reason (clipboard-monitoring feature). I have not seen such feature in the other 3 (if you happen to know, please tell me too). In addition, I open my Logos and BibleWorks in my studies because I have purchased-Resources in them, which I have not bought in theWord Softwares. I have uninstalled e-sword from my laptop just because my laptop cannot bear too many Softwares.  Btw, if you are rich, you are encouraged to try other Bible Software in addition to theWord.
I trust that your Bible study will be more effective from now onwards.
R. Solomon